The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Tuesday 7 August 2007 4 responses



This film is one of my all time favourites.



4 responses: to “ The Unbearable Lightness of Being so far...

  • Thereyoucome 8.8.07
     

    very slow and I play it 2 times, finally from the hat I realized it's Chinese name and I should have seen it before but only the actor looks familiar.

    The book is not a one I can understannd all, a hard book to read at the second half, but I like part of them.

    I remember at the beginning the girl bring all of her stuff with a luggage and came to the man by a fast decision, that's the man think he can't leave her.

  • Kim 8.8.07
     

    hi Thereyoucome
    these you tube videos are very slow to load ...which is a shame because it makes such a difference when it runs smoothly....this is a beautiful film about love... the actors are Daniel Day-Lewis (British), Juliette Binoche (French) and Lena Olin (Swedish).

    According to Kundera, (the author) "being" is full of "unbearable lightness" because each of us has only one life to live: "Einmal ist keinmal" ("once is nonce", i.e., "what happened once might as well have never happened at all"). Therefore, each life is ultimately insignificant; every decision ultimately does not matter. Since decisions do not matter, they are "light": they do not tie us down. But at the same time, the insignificance of our decisions - our lives, or being - is unbearable. Hence, "the unbearable lightness of being". The subject matter causes some critics to label this novel as a modernist work, while others see it as a celebratory explosion of post-modernism.

  • Unknown 8.8.07
     

    Have you read the book? I have it on my shelf and keep meaning to read it. Your post has prompted me to start.

  • Kim 8.8.07
     

    No Joh
    I haven't......I would love to read it to see how it compares with the film......which was unbelievably powerful........
    thanks for visiting and please let me know what you think of the book....