A Spring View

Monday 1 September 2008 7 responses

Tu Fu (c. 750)



Though a country be sundered, hills and rivers endure;

And spring comes green again to trees and grasses

Where petals have been shed like tears

And lonely birds have sung their grief.

...After the war-fires of three months,

One message from home is worth a ton of gold.

...I stroke my white hair. It has grown too thin

To hold the hairpins any more.


trans. Witter Bynner

Drawing: Kim Barker - 1981

7 responses: to “ A Spring View so far...

  • Mariuca 2.9.08
     

    Wow Kim, u did this drawing back in 1981? Awesome to see u bringing back some of ur old work, bet it brings back some great memories too! :)

  • Kim 2.9.08
     

    hi Mariuca :)
    I did this drawing of two elderly people sitting on a park bench in Greenwich Park when I lived in London...
    ahh those were the days ;)
    I've never been soooo cold !!!

  • Mariuca 2.9.08
     

    Yay! I visited London years ago, stayed there for 2 weeks in the dreary winter of Dec! But still had lotsa fun and my sis is back in Bristol now. Hopefully I'll get to visit London again one day. :)

    And Kim!!! I'm so happy to see MPG is your Top Dropper today yeeha! ;)

  • Kim 2.9.08
     

    haha...
    you're my top dropper Mariuca!!!!
    thankyou thankyou :))

    I lived in London for 2 years!!!
    toooo long and tooo cold....
    2 weeks sounds perfect...
    maybe your sis can visit you ;)

  • Amy Lilley Designs 3.9.08
     

    The poem reminds me of the Civil War...did you ever read 'Cold Mountain'...or see the amazing movie...beautiful, simple, solid drawing...I love going thru my 'old stuff'..

  • Mel Avila Alarilla 3.9.08
     

    Yes, whatever conflicts may happen in our surroundings yet there is a time of renewal and regeneration just like the seasons. We look forward to the regenerating magic of spring. Beautiful piece of poetry, one that tugs at the heart and mirrors the soul. Thanks for the poem. God bless.

  • Kim 3.9.08
     

    oh I saw the movie Amy ..it was brilliant!!!
    I found this little drawing in my archives and thought it summed up Spring for me....

    I'm glad you enjoyed the poem Mel...
    thanks for calling by :)