The Lost Buddhas

Monday 8 September 2008 6 responses

Chinese Buddhist sculpture from Qingzhou



Asian Gallery, Ground Level
29 August - 23 November 2008



Lost for over 800 years – the discovery of some 400 Buddhist figures by construction workers levelling a sports field is considered one of the most significant archaeological finds of the 20th century. The sculptures were carefully wrapped and buried in the grounds of a long-destroyed temple for reasons that remain a mystery.
Created nearly 1500 years ago these are some of the most exquisite works of art made in the service of the Buddhist faith. They are extraordinary in their beauty and timeless simplicity.
Thirty-five of the best preserved and most exquisite sculptures will travel from China to the Art Gallery of NSW. This is the first time that these works will be seen in Australia.

[view the video]

6 responses: to “ The Lost Buddhas so far...

  • Mariuca 10.9.08
     

    Kimmy!!! I saw ur new dollies at Emila's and I love ur dolly for ur new blog, that is my fave of all ur dollies, so cute! :D

  • Kim 10.9.08
     

    aren't they gorgeous Mariuca...
    I'm about to put my other two dollies up asap...
    I love them ...and thanks to you little Miss Entrepreneur Marzie xxx
    I think Emila's dollies are going to be a big hit!!!

  • Mariuca 11.9.08
     

    He he, yup looks like orders are still coming in for Emila! And hey, I just subscribed to Poeartica today YAY! :D

  • Kim 12.9.08
     

    thanks so much Mariuca...
    I think the dollies will go like hotcakes hehe :)

  • DubLiMan 17.9.08
     

    Kim,
    Thanks for flying my flags on both of your sites. I would love for you to come over and participate in some of my directories. I even have an "Artists" directory, in deference to you. If you see any directories that should be there that are not, please let me know and I will add them.

    Mel (aka) SlogBite.

  • Kim 17.9.08
     

    sure thing Mel :)